Curriculum Vitae (CV) is a Latin word which means “course of life”. A CV is an outline of someone’s professional work which could be academia, publications and qualifications. Basically a CV is professional synopsis of your life’s work
Office of Career Services feels that one should have proper knowledge on how to write a compelling CV and here are some tips on how to do it:
- General Outlook – The Appearance of the cv matters a lot. Always ensure that your font is readable and that you use proper font size . Also ensure your work is neat and tidy and this can be achieved by proper spacing of your paragraphs and lines. Remember First Impressions Matter
- Arrangement of the CV – Always ensure that the most important information is placed in the first page of the cv as readers will tend to look and remember what is placed in the beginning of document. Sequence Matters
- Keep it precise- Keep your cv to a maximum of two pages and ensure you provide all essential information this two pages. Keep it Short And to the Point
- Language – Always use professional language to express your work and achievements. This gives an impression that you are professional and that you can work in a professional setting. Be Professional
- Keep it Relevant – Always ensure that your CV is applicable/related to the job that you are applying for in order to qualify you as a candidate. It Should Meet the Purpose .
- Provide your Contact information – It seems silly but always ensure you provide several contact references in order for the organization to reach out to you. Email and Phone Number
- Check over your work – Once you are done writing the CV make sure you spell check your work in order to remove spelling mistakes and other errors. Spell Check your work
Invest your time and effort to make a captivating CV and always confirm that is up to date and most importantly truthful.
How to write an effective CV : https://profiles.uonbi.ac.ke/andakala/files/writing_a_effective_cv-albert_ndakala_2007.pdf