Through campus, most students may wonder what methods are best to supplement their educational life. It is true that the main aim of attending university is attaining the best possible quality degree. But why aim to achieve such a goal? What happens when you want to fast track this process? What should you do in order to silently but surely build your CV to boost your career? That is what this article addresses.
First, it is important to note that while starting out this journey, one shouldn’t expect to start at prestigious positions in renowned organizations. The best mindset to keep is to value progress over perfection. Most students may have a set notion of their own skills in their head, but to others they are an unknown commodity and are aiming to prove their worth. Hence, if it needs stating, patience is required in order to progress up your career ladder.
Now that the prerequisites are out of the way, let’s dive deep into the problem. Key steps to follow when building your career while still in campus:
- Join Career Related Clubs – This will enable one to network with individuals who may become integral to opportunities that may open up in the future. This may be through partnerships made by this club with organizations external to the university
- Attend Events – This applies to career-related events such as talks from invited speakers and seminars . This would be a wonderful form of exposure to help you realize the skills needed in order to succeed in your field of expertise.
- Apply for Internships During Long Holidays- This is a key aspect needed to build your experience prior to actual job appointments. Most organizations especially esteemed ones would not be willing to employ graduates with no prior experience even in entry-level positions.
- Studying of professional courses- It would be very valuable studying such courses in order enable you attain skills that may become vital in all future job-hunting endeavors. It would also help to give you the edge against fellow peers seeking to snatch up the same opportunities as you.
- Join a Sport- Lately sports have become a major part of our lives. If one may think about the Olympics or the World cup and how they are very big industries employing millions of individuals then one would only be wise to join a sport and have experience in it.
- This applies more to computer-related courses – There are plenty of websites set up to aid freelance developers hone their skills at the same time earn some cash. Projects built using this method could help future employer better understand your skillset and even assess your performance on a professional level.
With all those tidbits stated above, I wish you all the best in your future career-building endeavors.